close
close

Latest Post

Rishi Sunak is mocked with memes after people learn when Sky TV launched Driver collides with NYSDOT truck in Saratoga Springs

Image source, Karen Rodman

Image description, Thornaby FC announced on Sunday that it would disband its women’s and girls’ teams.

The decision to dissolve the entire women’s department of a football club was complex and “not taken lightly,” said the former managing director.

The board of Thornaby FC announced on Sunday that it had voted to continue without its women’s teams due to “financial constraints”.

This move sparked an angry reaction among the now clubless players.

But Trevor Wing, the club’s former chief executive, said the decision had been made with the club’s long-term stability in mind, as maintaining both the men’s and women’s first teams was “financially unsustainable”.

She told the BBC that following the announcement there had been a wave of support for the women and girls, who had been offered sponsorship and new clubs.

“Challenging times”

In a statement, Wing said the move was preceded by “extensive discussions and consultations with all parties involved” and that it had “become obvious that maintaining the first teams for both men and women was not financially viable.”

“With the men’s team having been an integral part of Thornaby FC since 2000, the difficult decision has been made to prioritise its continuity,” he said.

Regarding the girls’ junior teams, he said that in the past they had operated independently, using only the Thornaby FC name and badge while playing at various other venues.

“Throughout my career I have actively promoted women’s football, serving as a coach, secretary for Middlesbrough Ladies and as a representative on the FA Women’s Committee,” he added.

“I will continue to work to support and promote women’s football and hope that the community continues to support Thornaby FC during these difficult times.”

More about this story

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *